A Life Worth Living - Expect Less Be Happy



I have heard and read numerous quotes throughout my life (till date) on what life is and how to live your life? How to make it happy and how to make sure you spend every moment of it? And blah, blah, blah; enough has been told. But what has influenced me most is the following line-
"EXPECT LESS and BE HAPPY"

I do not who said it nor did I make any effort to search it over internet. But these five words have influenced me so much that I cannot help but just admire the one who said it. And how true it is.

God gave us life as a human, not everybody is as lucky as we are. We all could have born as a dog, cat and any other living being you can think of other than human. But we are wasting it. Yes, we are ruining this gift of God big time. And he won't be happy about this.

We always expect- from family, friends, loved ones, God and our self. I do not say it is wrong to expect something from your near ones; after all, they are the one with who you expect to be up to your level of demands. But what's wrong is that stressing your self when those expectations are not fulfilled.

Ask a question- why are you stressing your self when others do not live up to your expectations? They never say they would do this and do that, it was all you assumed.

You assumed that they will do it. You assumed that they will do anything to make you happy. You assumed that you are special for them. You are assumed that they care for you.

Your assumptions are not too wrong but it is not their fault if they don't do what you expected. They never promised you. Expecting too much is always difficult. You are being unfair.

I believe in expecting less. In that way, I keep myself always cheerful. Low expectations from everybody, even from those who are very close to you and about whom you are sure they won't disappoint you, is a good rule to remain happy. Consider below-

You expect 9/10 for a performance, your manager thought you deserve 5 but still he gives 8. I bet you won't be happy about that because higher expectations often bring sadness than cheerfulness. In the same scenario, you deserved 5 and you know that but still you say to yourself- let me keep on lower side so I expect he will give me 4.

But manager still gives you 7. In first case, you got 8 but were not happy and in second case, you got 7 but still more than happy. It is important to be practical and realistic. Thinking without limits is very injurious to mind and heart.

That was it. I urge every one of you reading this to go deeper in the meaning of the line and start practicing it religiously. My experiences have been pleasant with it and since I have started expecting less, I am more than happy. Do not waste this God's gift, this life in sulking and complaining. It is given to you to spend in the most beautiful way and spend it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment